Benjamin H. Bratton's work spans Philosophy, Art, Design and Computer Science. He is Professor of Visual Arts and Director of the Center for Design and Geopolitics at the University of California, San Diego. He is Program Director of The New Normal programme at Strelka Institute of Media, Architecture and Design in Moscow. He is also a Professor of Digital Design at The European Graduate School and Visiting Faculty at SCI_Arc (The Southern California Institute of Architecture)
In The Stack: On Software and Sovereignty (MIT Press, 2016. 503 pages) Bratton outlines a new theory for the age of global computation and algorithmic governance. He proposes that different genres of planetary scale computation -smart grids, cloud platforms, mobile apps, smart cities, the Internet of Things, automation- can be seen not as so many species evolving on their own, but as forming a coherent whole: an accidental megastructure that is both a computational infrastructure and a new governing architecture. The book plots an expansive interdisciplinary design brief for The Stack-to-Come. See thestack.org Table of Contents Amazon
Dispute Plan to Prevent Future Luxury Constitution (e-flux/ Sternberg Press, 2015. 196 pages) is a collection of short fictions on architecture and political violence. The book weaves fact and fiction to dramatize the symmetries and complicities between designed violence and the violence of design: their plots, schemes, utopias and dystopias. See dppflc.io Table of Contents Amazon
His current research project, Theory and Design in the Age of Machine Intelligence, is on the unexpected and uncomfortable design challenges posed by A.I in various guises: from machine vision to synthetic cognition and sensation, and the macroeconomics of robotics to everyday geoengineering.
* "On Hemispherical Stacks" Digital Earth, Ashkal Alwan, Beirut. April 20, 2019.
* "AI Urbanism" with Google Artists + Machine Intelligence, The New Normal, Strelka Institute, Moscow. April 29-May 2, 2019.
* Research trip on robotics and human-exclusion zones with The New Normal, Tokyo and Fukushima, Japan. May 7-16, 2019.
* Writing break, La Jolla, Ca. May 17-May 27, 2019.
* Keynote lecture, Human Entities, Lisbon. May 28, 2019.
* Gulf Stack, Vertical Atlas, Het Nieuwe Instituut, Rotterdam. June, 6-7, 2019.
* Public interview with Armen Avanessian, Berlin. June 8, 2019.
* "Mechanisms of Surveillance" Panel (with Trevor Paglen, Julieta Aranda) Art Basel. Switzerland. June 13, 2019.
* Seminar,"Supernaut" European Graduate School. Sass-Fee, Switzerland. June 18-22nd, 2019.
* Final Projects Review. The New Normal Year 3. Strelka Institute. Moscow. June 26-27, 2019.
* Public event, TBA. Strelka Institute, Moscow. June 28, 2019.
* Seminar, EDGE post-graduate program, SCI_Arc, Los Angeles. May 13-August 9, 2019.
* Writing break, La Jolla, CA. June 30-August 26, 2019.
* New program launch event, Strelka Institute, Moscow. August 26, 2019.
* TBA, NYU Shanghai. August 28-September 14, 2019.
* Seminar, EDGE post-graduate program, SCI_Arc, Los Angeles. Fall 2019.
* Seminar, "The Artificial: Programming and Planetarity" Dept. of Visual Arts, University of California, San Diego. Fall 2019.
Recent and Selected Videos
"Conversation with Bruce Sterling"
"Interview: On The Stack" SCI-Arc Channel
"The Stack We Have, The Stack To Come"
"We Need to Talk About TED"
"The Black Stack"
"A.I. and Cities: Platform Design, Algorithmic Reason and Urban Geopolitics"
"The Politics of Platform Technologies"
"The Sprawl"(by Metahaven)
Selected Recent Articles, Interviews, etc.
On Speculative Design dis magazine/ The Time Complex: Postcontemporary
Outing A.I.: Beyond the Turing Test (New York Times) Expanded version in Alleys of Your Mind: Artificial Intelligence and its Traumas (PDF)
Paranoids on Android (On Google's Deep Dream) TANK Magazine
The Black Stack e-flux journal
The Stack and the Post-Human User: Interview Het Nieuwe Institut, Rotterdam
Machine Vision: Interview dis magazine
The Role of Megastructure in the Eschatology of John Frum: On OMA's Master Plan for the Spratly Islands e-flux journal